Tuesday, November 24, 2009

3 Kernels of corn


It's that time of year again, when all the hustle and bustle of the holidays kick in...seems to me the older i get, the less I want the hustle and bustle...
I find Thanksgiving to be a hard holiday for me now, probably because of all the family dynamics that have changed so much... it was a huge deal in our house growing up, and it was definitely my mom's holiday!I cling to the memories of yester-year gatherings.. with all the aunts, uncles, cousins... we'd fight over who WASN'T eligible for the "kids" table and who WAS eligible for the the "adult" table... The women would do all the cooking, and the men would clean up...yup... even do the dishes...After the dessert and dishes were done, everyone would pull out their guitars and instruments and spend the next couple of hours just jammin..hanging out and singing all the old favorites...I remember the excitement of constantly looking out the door window to see if anyone had arrived yet...
I find myself thinking a lot about the 3 kernels of corn...we'd all have 3 kernels of corn next to our plates, and at some point we'd go around the table and give 3 things we were thankful for that year... It was funny...listening to the kids...and then the next year to see how we'd grown, and added some "real" things we were thankful for... ( not just the usual "I'm thankful for my bed, my dog, and my house.. )....
Now my Thanksgiving consists of the four of us... well.. probably 3 this year..no relatives.. no kids/adult tables...no three kernels of corn..:( ... (I tried that once... didn't go over well with my kids... so sad...)
I feel like this generation.. although we tried to instill some of our parents traditions.. that we loved....they don't really care for them... That baffles me...and makes me sad.
I am thankful for the wonderful memories my mom gave me...and am hoping one day that my kids will come around and care, and want to continue them...So even though we won't be with family and loved ones, in my heart I'll thinking of the 3 kernels of corn, and how much I have to be thankful for!
Here's hoping all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! don't eat too much! and maybe put out 3 kernels of corn!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

As always, I LOVE your blog! You write from the heart! This is going to be a different year for you, not bad, just different... I still hope you have at least 4 at your table! Put the corn out anyways... they dont' have to 'like' it, it will continue to instill your parent's tradition and make the memories for them too! Thank for for our parents and the memory makers!!