Saturday, July 24, 2010

No Bake Blueberry Pie and Texas Caviar

So with all the blueberry pickin.. I've had a hankerin for a pie. An older lady gave me this recipe and said it was delicious... So I thought I'd try it!! it's very easy...It's got ALOT of blueberry's .. so if you're not a big fan, you might not like it... but it's def. something I'd make again.. My hubby misses the top crust, but for a hot day in the summer, it's nice not to have to turn on the oven!!  ENJOY!


                                          No Bake Blueberry Pie

1 qt. fresh blueberry's or a little more.(don't really need more)
1 baked pie shell
3/4 cup water
2 tblsp. flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt.


In sauce pan, Mix water, flour, sugar and salt. Add 1 cup berrys to mixture. Heat on high till it bubbles. Lower heat to med. and simmer till it thickens. Remove from heat and let sit a few minutes. Fold in remaining berrys and let stand a few more min.Pour into pie shell. Let cool. Refridgerate till set. Serve with cool whip or ice cream  =) ( there is no top crust)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With summer here, and pool parties, and cook outs, this makes a great dip type snack!! I'm not a big bean lover, but this is great!!!

                                                                Texas Caviar  
                  (this recipe makes ALOT so cut it in half if making it for a small. gathering or family snack)

2 -15 oz cans of black beans rinsed and drained
2 -15 oz pinto beans rinsed and drained
2 -15 oz cans of white corn rinsed and drained
1-4 oz can chopped green chiles UNDRAINED
1 jalapeno chile pepper seeded and finely chopped (opt.)
1 red bell pepper cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1 small red onion finely chopped
1 bunch of cilantro leaves finely chopped ( opt)
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teas. garlic powder

mix the black beans, pinto beans, white corn, green chiles, jalapeno pepper, red and green bell peppers, red onion, and cilantro together in a large bowl

To make dressing, stir the rice vinegar, olive oil, sugar, and garlic powder together in a pan. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat, and cool. Pour dressing over bean mixture. and toss to mix evenly.

best if it sits overnite, serve with scoop style tortilla chips or corn chips to make a real crowd pleaser.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

YUMMY!! I will atest to your claim of that dip... it is awesome!! I made some here and it was a HUGE hit! I was hoping you'd post yours soon, so I could put it on my blog too! :) I bought some lime tortilla chips to try with it, and they were really good!

Your blueberry pie sounds excellent! Gonna have to try that one if I can ever keep fresh blueberries in the house long enough! LOL

Wonderful pictures! :)

Mntmoose Happenings said...

You made it?? !!!! even the kids ate it?? Evan LOVED IT!!!! =)

not sure if I'd like the lime chips but the scoops were great!!!