I have a lot of summer squash and zucchini's this year. Some of them have grown too big, so on the advice from a good friend, I'm going to shred them and bag them for the freezer.. then I'll have some of my own zucchini over the winter!
Here's a recipe from a friend, that she SWEARS is wonderful! It's a great way to use your zucchini AND it has chocolate too!!:) Some people tweak it for their own tastes.. ( add choc. chips, no nuts.. less or more cinnamon.. a different oil, etc..) I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it soon...ENJOY.. and let me know what you think!!
Zucchini Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.